Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Surprise Root Canal

Since my previous post I've been to the dentist and was surprised with a root canal.  How fun.  I've been doing a lot of research, still, on the link between Lyme Disease and teeth decay.  I've had a hard time finding information that isn't posted on forums, but actual articles.  But I think I finally hit the jackpot today!  I found an interview with a dentist that describes exactly what I am currently going through.  

As I mentioned before, my cavities have been coming from the inside out, which is unusual, but according to this dentist who has worked with a bunch of Lyme patients before, the spirochetes of Lyme like to reside inside the tubules of the teeth, which is also a location where the antibiotics will not reach.  Even to what the dentist has said about which teeth Lyme typically affect first are my exact teeth.  
"It is my experience that Lyme gravitates especially to the upper and lower centrals, and to the upper and lower first molars. That's eight teeth."
I asked my dentist if he thought maybe the decay in my teeth had anything to do with the antibiotics, he didn't think so.  I do find it quite a coincidence that I haven't been to the dentist since 2006, and suddenly after being on IV antibiotics and having some of the worse Lyme symptoms I've ever had, three of my teeth have broken in less than two months.  Plus, the flagyl and cleocin IVs that I'm on turn my tongue brown and orange, so there's something going on in my mouth.

Who really knows for sure though.  I'm pretty confident that all this has to do with Lyme, yet another super fun side effect of just super fun disease.  I got back to the dentist on Monday to get the last of the area's repaired, then hopefully I'll have no more dental problems.  I'm hoping that chapter of my Lyme will be finished soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment